This year, I had the opportunity to attend the Ohio Safety Congress and Expo held in Columbus, OH. While I was there, I attended a session that focused on engaging and empowering employees with safety and ergonomics. As an ergonomics consultant, I am constantly working with my clients to motivate their employees to play a role in the company’s ergonomics process and to really own it and build a sense of pride. Here are some goals to strive for when encouraging employees at your company to get involved:
- Encourage open communication with your management team
- Gain supporters and advocates for safety and ergonomics
- Gather buy-in for the solutions you are implementing
- Get employee input when developing improvements
- Create pride in a job well done
- Establish that all employees are responsible for the safety of themselves and others
Working to achieve these goals allows you to build a dynamic team among employees, health and safety leaders, and management teams. Employees who are engaged and empowered to work for you are often happier, healthier, and more efficient. Here are some more articles on engaging your employees with ergonomics.