December 15th, 2014
Five Cool Gifts for the Mobile Worker
by Christy Lotz, CPE
- For the person on your list who suffers from epicondylitis from frequent mousing, an external mouse is the perfect gift. This wireless trackball mouse allows the user to navigate with the thumb versus the forearm and wrist. This mouse does not require much surface area, so it is perfect for those on the go. (Logitech Wireless Trackball Mouse)
- A windshield or dashboard phone mount is a great accessory for those who use their phones as a navigation system. Car mounts are easy to use, lightweight and safe for drivers. They get the phone out of your hands and at eye level so you can focus on the road and know where to turn! (Example: iOttie Car Mount)
- One-strap laptop bags are not very ergonomic. Typically, people carry them on the dominant shoulder, which puts additional pressure on an already overused limb. To relieve some of that stress, consider a two-strap backpack. You can secure some newer models to your carry-on luggage when you’re jetting through the airport. (Check out Amazon for a variety of options.)
- Maneuvering lightweight, 4-wheel spinner luggage around the airport is much more manageable than hauling or carrying traditional luggage. Lightweight carry-on luggage is also easier to lift into an overhead bin.
- Tablet computers have all the functions of a typical laptop, but are more convenient to carry; you no longer need to carry both. However, be sure to use peripheral equipment (monitor and mouse) when working with a tablet for long periods of time. (Microsoft Surface or Lenova Yoga are excellent options.)