Five Ways to Incoporate Standing Into Your Workday
by Katie Grosteffon, AEP
You’ve probably heard about the benefits of combining sitting and standing at your office workstation. Unfortunately, most offices still have traditional desks designed specifically for seated work. Here are some easy ways to incorporate more standing into your work day without any special equipment.
- Stand While on the Phone – If you have a wireless headset, stand and take a short walk while you are on the phone. The person on the other end will never know. Just don’t stray too far if you think you might need to look something up on your computer.
- Stand and Talk – Instead of e-mailing or calling a co-worker, walk over to her desk and have an in-person conversation. Conversely, if your manager comes to your desk, stand up so that you can see eye-to-eye.
- Work Around the Office – Look around your office and see if there are good locations for standing work, such as a three-drawers tall filing cabinet. Check and see if the work surface is at about elbow height while standing. Grab your laptop or some paperwork and work standing for a short time.
- Stand at Your Own Desk – Look for easy ways to make a part of your desk standing height. For example, I found a large, sturdy box and placed it on my desk. The top of the box is at my standing elbow height which is perfect for standing and writing notes on documents that I am editing.
- Standing Meetings – Implement standing meetings at your office. Not only will this give your back a break from sitting all day, but this has been shown to decrease the length of meetings and keep people more focused!
If you have any additional suggestions to incorporate standing at your office feel free to share with us. We’d love to hear them!