Out with the old, in with the new is a common phrase that is practiced this time of year, especially after the holidays. Decluttering your work space, home, and even your car is one of the top New Year’s resolutions according to researchers, and is probably the reason why January 8th was designated as National Clean Off Your Desk Day.
January is the best time to purge. Clearing your space of frivolous items will inspire creativity and save you time looking for that lost file (or your car keys). While you’re at it, digitize your files, weed out emails, and readjust the overall fit of your work space. With a clean environment comes a clear mind.
Numerous studies have cited positive links between the cleanliness of an individual’s home or work and his health and happiness level. Those with messy environments tend to be more fatigued and depressed, according to the article “The Powerful Psychology of Cleanliness” published in Psychology Today. The article also states that researchers from Princeton University found that clutter makes it more difficult for the visual cortex in the brain to complete tasks because it gets overwhelmed by task-irrelevant objects. They also found that women had higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
Inspired to tidy up your work space? When your area is free from clutter, consider these tips to improve the ergonomics at your workstation
- Position your monitor at an arm’s length away (18” to 30”) and the top of it should be at or slightly below eye level.
- Place the keyboard directly in front of you and the mouse within proximity to avoid reaching.
- Adjust your seat height to ensure your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle with your feet flat on the floor.
- Remove unwanted items under your desk to ensure you have enough leg room when sitting.
- Aim to stand as much as you sit while working. Adding more movement through the day will improve your productivity, energy level, and overall health.
From my desk to yours, happy clean-up day.
To ensure you have an ergonomic work space, visit the Ergopoint page of our website.