Melissa Fish, Ergonomics Lead for Quad/Graphics, delivered an excellent presentation entitled, “Empowering Employees and Advancing the Ergonomics Process” at the recent National Ergonomics Conference & Expo. She started by describing the Quad/Graphics culture, values, and leadership model, as well as their need for a systematic and proactive approach to ergonomics to support their expanding business.
To support their needs, Quad/Graphics deployed The Humantech System and conducted employee-driven improvement workshops at 16 locations. Melissa described her five key learnings from this process:
- Culture – Understand your organization’s culture and deploy an ergonomics approach that compliments it.
- Team – Pick the right team of cross-functional employees that possess the can do attitude and the “MacGyver” skills.
- Fixes – Focus on fixes and use internal resources/expertise to get it done.
- Integrate – Incorporate the employee-driven ergonomic initiative into ongoing continuous improvement events.
- Communicate– Share best practices across sites and recognize employee contributions in front of their peers.